Releasing as a deluxe 4-LP audiophile vinyl package, as well as on SACD, the albums will provide audiophiles and music fans with the two distinct collections of songs — one traditional and one contemporary — with which to test and experience the rarest musical moments.
“The idea is like the ultimate demo record for calibrating your system at home, so it’s important to have a diversity of sounds, frequencies and styles. The challenge of making a record where all the songs flow and work together but then do this technical job of being able to test various aspects of your calibration, it’s kind of tricky," said Dave Longstreth.
To ensure the highest quality sound, original masters were sourced from the labels and artists with Ryan Smith of Sterling Sound handling mastering and lacquers, Quality Record Pressing (QRP) of Salina, Kansas, pressing the vinyl on virgin 180g black vinyl and Gus Skinas, President of Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colorado, authoring the SACD. Clay Conder of VMP designed the album art with inspiration taken from sound waves and the musicality of both Marantz and VMP.
"I hope you enjoy listening to this music on a Marantz component. Marantz components will let you discover three-dimensional sound, and the difference of timber between the instruments. If you could find any discoveries or surprises like these on Marantz component, it makes me grateful," said Yoshinori Ogata.
The unique collaboration between the legendary hi-fi brand and premier vinyl record club was born from a shared passion for music and specifically, the discovery, curation and presentation of quality sounds. It comes alongside the release of two new flagship products for Marantz, the MODEL 30 and SACD 30n, a new era for Marantz.
“I have always found test or demo records to be quite fascinating as both a record collector and music fan, so when the opportunity to work with Marantz presented itself, it felt like the perfect opportunity to create something truly unique that both hi-fi enthusiasts and music fans would appreciate. At VMP, everything we do is about exploring music together and high-quality sound is such an important part of the experience we’re hoping to create. Marantz is all about musicality in their sound so it was really a perfect fit," said Cameron Schaefer.
— Full Tracklist —
Vol. 1 - Listen Like A Sound Master (Yoshinori Ogata)
1. Diana Krall - No Moon At All
2. Junko Onishi Presents The Sextet - Baby I'm Yours
3. Jupiter / Thomas Dunford - Antonio Vivaldi - Cello Concerto In G Minor RV 416 I. Allegro - Bruno Phillipe
4. Hector Berlioz, Les Siecles, Francois-Xavier Roth (cond) - Symphonie Fantastique in C Major, Op. 14: 5 Songe Dune Nuit de Sabbat (Live)
5. Hoff Ensemble - Moving
6. Sinne Eeg - What A Little Moonlight Can Do
7. Malene Mortensen - Another Day
8. Makoto Ozone featuring No Name Horses - Until We Vanish
9. Kandace Springs - Breakdown
Vol. 2 - Listen Like A Producer (Cameron Schaefer & Dave Longstreth)
1. Perfume Genius - Slip Away
2. Vagabon - Water Me Down
3. Dirty Projectors - Just From Chevron
4. J Dilla - Don't Cry
5. Cornelius - Drop
6. Fabiano Do Nascimento - Forro Brasil
7. Autre Ne Veut - Play By Play
8. Flying Lotus & Thom Yorke - ...And The World Laughs With You
9. Miya Folick - Thingamajig
10. John Carpenter - Night
11. James Blake - Retrograde
12. Tom Misch, Yussef Dayes, Freddie Gibbs - Nightrider
13. Aldous Harding - The Barrel
14. The Books - The Lemon of Pink I